A stay at home order is in effect.
Only leave home for essential purposes such as food, health care, exercise or work.
It is the law.
Stay home, stay safe, save lives.
More at Ontario.ca/covidresponse
Here’s a better explanation that is more detailed, by CBC
• Ontario will be placed under a stay-at-home order, which will require everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy; accessing health-care services; exercising; or doing essential work.
• There will be no in-class instruction until Feb. 10 at the earliest for the following public health units: Toronto, York Region, Peel Region, Hamilton and Windsor-Essex.
• All businesses must ensure that any employee who can work from home does so.
• Outdoor gatherings are restricted to five people, consistent with the first-wave lockdown rules.
• Masks remain mandatory indoors at open businesses or organizations. Masks are also now being recommended outdoors where physical distancing of more than two metres is not possible.
• All non-essential retail stores, including hardware stores, alcohol retailers and those offering curbside pickup or delivery, will be forced to close by 8 p.m. ET and open no earlier than 7 a.m. These limits don’t apply to stores that primarily sell food, gas stations, pharmacies, convenience stores or restaurants providing take-out or delivery.
• Non-essential construction is further restricted, including below-grade construction, exempting survey.
• No restrictions on the purchase of non-essential items.
Q & A from Toronto CTV News
Questions & Answers
We usually go for late-night drives to get out of our house for a bit. I am assuming this is still allowed since it says drive-through and take out still is?
While there’s no guidance on leisurely driving, the government says it “cannot determine what is essential for every person in this province, each with their own unique circumstances and regional considerations.”
Are dentists considered essential in this lockdown, I do not mean for emergencies, just a cleaning?
Dentists may continue to see patients for emergency and non-emergency appointments. Members of the public are only also permitted to enter a shopping mall that house a dental office or pharmacy.
Can I go to my cottage or secondary residence?
No. The government says that because it is asking residents to stay home, trips to a cottage or secondary residence should be avoided, unless it is for an essential purpose like emergency maintenance.
Can I go see a movie at the drive-in?
Concert venues, theatres and cinemas are closed, including drive-in or drive-through events.